The Punkah's in the lounge area of the Club have been a feature for probably about fifty years, although no-one seems to know exactly how long thay have been there or from whom they were procured. They are powered by an electric motor in the ceiling and the punkah's themselves are made of jute which suggests they were orginally imported from India.

In 1957 it was suggested that they should be removed and that modern air conditioning be installed instead. Thankfully they were retained and despite air conditioning being installed in 1962 the punkahs are still functional and occasionally turned on, mainly for the benefit of vistors who want to see them in action.

Text and Image from The Golden Stairs: A History of 100 years of the Mildura Club by Bernie J. Burke. .

Photo Gary Hughes

 

 

 

       
 

 

 

 

Mildura Club Inc.

85-91 Deakin Avenue

PO Box 207 Mildura 3500

Phone: (03) 5023 1006

Fax: (03) 5021 1612

IAN A0018997S

E-Mail Us

 

Manager: Brad Fox